Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Traditional Polish Salad

The name of the post is actually a misnomer (but not by much. It's actually called Salatka Jarzynowa.) An extremely popular Polish salad is one that resembles a potato salad sans potatoes. It's eaten on holidays, at parties, and makes up a 'standard' dish of Polish cuisine. Canned tuna is a relatively new thing, and this recipe utilizes it well. Honestly, at first it seems a little white-trash, but it's pretty good.

The ingredients usually include:
1 can of tuna
1 can of corn
1 red pepper (diced)
1 pickle (diced)
Some minced chives
Plenty of mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything together in a bowl and serve.

There are many variations of this recipe. Some used chicken instead of tuna, others have peas or minced onion; even apple! (It's all good.) Diced, hard boiled eggs are often added as well. Add something that you think will work, and eat away.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was searching for a Polish salad recipe in avoidance of making the ubiquitous Salatka Jarzynowa that my grandmother, mother and their assortment of Polish friends used to make ........... and I came across this and I'm not sure what exactly that thing you posted is, but it's not a Salatka Jarzynowa! Since when is tuna a jarzyna? LOL

PolishMeKnob said...

You know, some other Poles read this and told me in person. I was told repeatedly that it wasn't correct and that I should take it down (as it can be seen, I didn't.) The thing is, I got it from a Pole, who in turn got it from her mother as a 'traditional' recipe. Apparently, it's not very traditional, since canned tuna came a part of the diet only after the Wall fell. So, I guess you are right (tuna isn't a jarzyna) but I don't want to void that mother's definition of Polish cuisine (and that woman is Polish through and through.) There's no need to add the tuna if you don't wish.

sylvia said...

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one confused by the recipe! The one we make has almost no ingredients in common with it: potato, apple, pickle, peas, carrots, mayo and mustard (offhand, don't have the full, time-consuming but delicious recipe with me).

I was searching for a new recipe for knedle and came across your blog. It's always interesting to read about how non-Poles view the culture while living in Poland.